MEET THE TEAM
Head of Trade Marks
Karen Veitch is a Chartered Trade Mark Attorney, a Chartered Patent Attorney and a European Patent Attorney. Karen is a trade mark specialist, and heads Lincoln IP’s trade mark practice group.
Karen has more than 20 years’ experience in the trade mark profession, advising clients on all aspects of their trade marks including adopting and clearing new marks, developing international filing strategies and handling pre-action disputes. Karen has a particular interest in oppositions and applications for invalidity before the UK and EU Intellectual Property Offices and managing large international portfolios. Karen advises clients in a wide and diverse range of sectors including food and drink, finance, energy, education, software, retail and utilities.
Prior to the UK’s exit from the EU, Karen was an active practitioner before the EUIPO, and utilises that experience to advise on EU trade mark matters.
In 2023, Karen was recognised by Managing IP as one of the Top 250 Women in IP; she is the only Scotland-based practitioner to achieve this accolade. Karen is also recognised as a “highly recommended” expert by World Trademark Review 1000 and as a “Trade Mark Star – Scotland” in the Managing Intellectual Property (MIP) IP Star rankings.
BSc (Hons) Pharmacology
University of Glasgow
Professional qualifications and affiliations
- Chartered Trade Mark Attorney (UK)
- Chartered Patent Attorney (UK)
- European Patent Attorney
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys
- Member of the European Patent Institute
- Certified IP Trade Mark Litigator
- Certified IP Patent Litigator
1999 to present
- Food and drink
- Financial services
- Consumer goods
- UK and international trade mark filing and prosecution
- Clearance searching and brand adoption issues
- Contentious issues including trade mark oppositions and cancellations
- Handling pre action disputes and negotiation of co-existence settlements
- International portfolio management